Crisp around the edges, soft and buttery in the middle, these Keto Butter Cookies truly do melt in your mouth! We dipped them in sugar free dark chocolate for a low carb treat that is absolutely divine! Each one has only 2g net carbs!
During this time of year, it seems like sweets are everywhere. Between freshly baked Christmas cookies and Thanksgiving pies, this time of year was made for baking. Which is tough when you’re on keto!
Instead of just saying “no” to everything, I find it helpful to bake my own keto-friendly cookies and holiday treats. You never know who else at the holiday get-together might want something that’s sugar free too!
These low carb butter cookies are a better-for-you spin on a holiday classic — and you only need six ingredients!
What are Butter Cookies?
Butter cookies are somewhat of a cross between sugar cookies and shortbread cookies. They’re similar in thickness and texture to shortbread cookies, but sweet like sugar cookies.
It’s the best of both worlds!
Instead of the all purpose flour used in the classic butter cookie recipe, we used fine almond flour. Almond flour is probably my favorite low carb flour because of the mild taste.
And lucky for us, butter is a GO on keto, so you still get that luxurious melt-in-your-mouth texture! And then we dip in all in smooth dark chocolate…trust me, you won’t miss the carbs with this one!
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
What You Need to Make Low Carb Butter Cookies
- Almond flour – I use Bob’s Red Mill because it is very fine, but feel free to use your favorite brand!
- Powdered sugar substitute — One of our favorites is Swerve Confectioner’s Sugar because it has just the rightt fluffy texture.
- Butter — Softened, but not melted
- Vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Coating:
- Sugar-free chocolate chips — We love Lilly’s dark chocolate chips because the taste is spot-on and they are stevia sweetened.
- Heavy cream — You can also substitute with almond milk if you’d like a lactose free recipe.
Why I Love this Recipe
- You only need 6 ingredients!
- Each cookie has just 2 grams net carbs.
- Delicious, melt in your mouth texture
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight on Keto
- Best Keto Sweeteners
How to Make Keto Friendly Butter Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Add softened butter to the bowl and work into the dough by hand.
Roll the dough into balls about 1″ in diameter and place on cookie sheet, at least 2 inches apart. You want to make sure that there is room for the cookies to expand as they bake.
Use a fork to press down on the cookies once in each direction, creating a cross pattern, like you would for peanut butter cookies.
Bake 8-12 minutes, keeping a close eye on your cookies. Remove from the oven as soon as they start to brown, as they will continue cooking a bit on the pan even after you pull them out of the oven.
Allow to cool before coating in chocolate.
To make the sugar free chocolate coating:
Melt sugar free chocolate chips and heavy cream in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between, until smooth. Be sure to use a microwave safe bowl and handle carefully, as the bowl itself may become hot.
Dip each cookie halfway into the chocolate and place on a wire rack to dry.
One all the cookies are dipped, place the rack in the freezer for 10-20 minutes to set.
Are these cookies gluten free?
As with many keto recipes, these low carb butter cookies with almond flour are gluten free. That is, none of the ingredients contain gluten.
However, you may still want to check the packaging of your ingredients to ensure that they are made in a facility without any gluten products, to avoid cross-contamination.
How do I store these cookies?
I find that they store best in an airtight container in the fridge, though you can also keep them in the freezer. Depending on the room temperature in your home, you might not want to leave them on the counter, as the chocolate coating may start to soften.
Can you omit the chocolate?
Absolutely! I’m in the camp that chocolate makes everything better, but these cookies taste fabulous on their own too!
If you skip the chocolate coating, you only need 4 ingredients to make this recipe and it slightly reduces the carb count!
More of our favorite keto cookie recipes:
- Fluffy Keto Snickerdoodles
- Keto Chocolate Cookies
- Keto Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Best Keto No Bake Cookies
- Keto Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Keto Butter Cookies Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Chocolate Dipped Keto Butter Cookies
For the Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour I use Bob’s Red Mill because it is very fine
- ½ cup erythritol confectioner sugar variety
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Coating
- ½ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- Combine almond flour, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Work the butter into the mixture by hand.
- Roll dough into balls, about an inch around, and place on cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Use a fork to gently press down on cookies.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes and remove from oven as soon as they start to brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool completely.
For the chocolate coating:
- Microwave chocolate and heavy cream in 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate and place on wire rack or baking sheet to dry.
- Once all cookies are coated, place baking sheet in freezer for 20 minutes until chocolate is set.
Pin this Keto Butter Cookies Dipped in Chocolate recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: