Missing rice while on the keto diet? Cauliflower rice is a great low carb substitute, with only 2g net carbs per serving! Learn how to prepare cauliflower rice and why it’s one of our favorite keto side dishes!
Keto Cauliflower Rice
Rice is one of the foods that I could eat every day — I love rice!!! It’s one of the things that I miss most on the keto diet. So I started looking for ways to make keto rice.
When I first tried cauliflower rice, I’ll admit I was skeptical. I mean, cauliflower is boooorrrrinng…am I right??
Well consider me corrected! Not only is the taste and texture pretty spot-on, but this low carb version of rice actually soaks up the flavors of any dish better than actual rice! And it pairs well with anything!
Related: For another unique way to prepare cauliflower, try our Spicy Roasted Cauliflower recipe!
Does Cauliflower Rice Have Carbs?
The only foods that truly have zero carbs are fats and oils, but remember that our goal with keto is not zero carbs. That’s not attainable, nor healthy! However, carbs do add up quickly, so whether you’re on a 20 carbs a day or 50 carbs a day plan, it’s important to choose foods that won’t “break the bank” so to speak.
There are 3 grams total carbs and 2 grams net carbs in cauliflower rice. Compare that to 45 grams of carbs in the same amount of regular white rice, and it’s easy to see why this is such a popular trade-off!
Even our cauliflower dirty rice recipe, with it’s delicious mix-ins, is only 5g net carbs per serving!
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Ready in about 20 minutes
- Pairs well with just about any dish
- Satisfying texture just like real rice
- Only 2g net carbs!
Keto Rice Ingredients
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- Cauliflower — You can use either fresh or frozen cauliflower. You can even start with cauliflower pearls, usually available in the grocer’s freezer section.
- Chicken bone broth — Click here for our recipe, or you can use store-bought to save time.
- Coconut oil — Or your favorite cooking oil
- Salt & pepper — To taste
Kitchen Tools Used:
The above is a quick glance at the ingredients and tools needed to make our recipe. Full ingredient amounts are available in the printable recipe at the bottom of the post.
What are Cauliflower Pearls?
Cauliflower pearls are small pieces of chopped cauliflower that are similar in size and shape to rice. They’re usually called “pearls” when in pre-cooked form, and “rice” after they’ve been cooked.
If you saw a bag of cauliflower pearls at the grocery store (usually in the frozen food section), you can use them in this recipe to save prep time!
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight on Keto
- Best Keto Sweeteners
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
First, wash and trim away any leaves. Then chop your cauliflower into florets, for easier handling.
Place florets into a food processor and pulse into you have grains that resemble rice. These are also known as cauliflower pearls.
Bring a sauté pan to heat over medium and add 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil. We love coconut oil for it’s health benefits and because it adds a nice flavor to the dish!
Add your cauliflower pearls to the pan and stir to coat in oil. Allow to sit for a few minutes until cauliflower just starts to brown.
Add seasoning and broth and stir. Cook uncovered until liquid reduces, then remove from heat and stir to fluff.
Can you use frozen cauliflower?
Sure! We started with fresh because it’s most cost-effective to buy a head of cauliflower and chop yourself.
However, if you’re short on time, many grocery stores have pre-chopped cauliflower pearls or rice in the freezer section. If this is what you’re using, you can skip right to the cooking step.
What can you serve cauliflower rice with?
One of the great things about a basic cauliflower rice is that it pairs well with a wide variety of dishes! Here are some of our favorite main courses to serve with your keto rice:
- Keto Meatball Marinara
- Crispy Keto Firecracker Tofu
- Keto Sesame Chicken
- Baked Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce
- Keto Beef and Broccoli
More recipes for cauliflower pearls:
- Cauliflower pizza crust
- Keto Cajun Rice
- You can also make cauliflower fried rice by adding a couple Tablespoons of coconut aminos, scrambled egg, and chopped veggies!
Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice (Keto Rice)
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Chop 1 medium head of cauliflower into chunks that will fit in a food processor.
- Pulse until you have small "pearls" that resemble rice (about 10 pulses).
- Add 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil to a sauté pan over medium heat.
- When pan is hot add cauliflower and stir to coat in oil. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes until cauliflower starts to brown. Add seasoning, if desired.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup chicken bone broth and stir. Cook uncovered until liquid reduces.
- Stir to fluff and season as desired.
Pin our Keto Rice Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: