Tender white fish wrapped in a delicious crispy coating…and only 2 net carbs per serving! These Keto Air Fryer Fish Sticks are a favorite with the whole family!
Keto Fish Sticks
Fish sticks are one of those foods that take me back to my childhood! There’s something so comforting about them!
I haven’t been able to enjoy them for a while, until this recipe for keto fish sticks! Now, hear me out, because I know that probably doesn’t sound like it will taste good…
But these low carb fish sticks have a perfectly crispy coating thanks to cooking them in an Air Fryer! They’re also super moist and tender on the inside – absolutely delicious!
So forget about frozen fish sticks or copycat keto recipes that are blah and not crispy enough. You’re going to love these! And the kids will too so you don’t have to cook them a separate meal!
Related: Click here to see all of our favorite Keto Air Fryer Recipes!
Are Fish Sticks Low Carb?
Normal fish sticks definitely are not low carb. That’s because the coating is often made from bread crumbs, which is high in refined carbohydrates.
For our low carb version, we used an almond flour base, which crisps up well and slashes the carb count drastically!
Another reason I love this recipe is that it is only 5 ingredients, plus a little salt and pepper! Real food, no additives!
Why I Love this Recipe:
- Only 2g carbs per serving!
- Tastes just like real fried fish sticks, without all the grease and carbs!
- Kids love them too!
For your convenience in re-creating our low carb Air Fryer fish sticks recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
What You Need to Make Keto Fish Sticks:
- Air Fryer
- Tilapia — or another similar white fish
- Almond flour
- Pork rinds — crushed into crumbs or you can try pork rind “breadcrumbs”
- Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight on Keto
How to Cook Fish Sticks in an Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 350°F.
Prep three shallow bowls with one of the following ingredients in each bowl:
- Almond flour
- Beaten egg
- Crushed pork rinds
Cut your fish into strips that are thin enough to easily bite through, but thick enough to hold their shape.
Season with Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Dip the fish sticks first into the almond flour:
Then into the beaten egg:
Lastly, dredge them in the crushed pork rinds, carefully so that the coating stays in place.
Arrange the coated fish sticks in the heated air fryer, making sure they don’t touch. Cook for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
Serve with keto-friendly cocktail sauce or tartar sauce. Enjoy!
Why is my fish sticking to the air fryer?
There are a couple reasons why fish sticks to the air fryer basket, but they can be easily fixed!
- The air fryer basket needs seasoned. Instead of using non-stick sprays (which can damage the basket over time), all you need is coconut oil and paper towels! There is a handy tutorial about this from This Old Gal.
- Give your air fryer basket a gentle shake halfway through the cooking process to prevent “sticks” from forming in the first place.
Keto Air Fried Fish Sticks Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- 1 pound Tilapia or other white fish
- ½ cup Almond flour
- 1 Egg
- 2 ounces Pork rinds crushed into crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F.
- Place the almond flour in one shallow bowl or plate, the crushed pork rind crumbs in another, and a beaten egg into a third.
- Cut your tilapia filet(s) into smaller strips, sized and shaped like fish sticks.
- Sprinkle the fish sticks with Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper - to taste.
- Dip the seasoned fish sticks into the bowl almond flour and roll to coat. Next, dip the fish sticks into the egg (carefully, so the almond flour stays in place as much as possible). Lastly, dredge them in the pork rind crumbs.
- Place the fish sticks into the heated air fryer, and cook for 12-15 minutes. They should be golden brown and crispy on the outside and cooked through.
Pin our Keto Air Fried Fish Sticks on Pinterest:
You might also like:
Keto Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts