Think you can’t eat a bagel on keto? Think again! These perfectly chewy Keto Bagels are delicious enough to enjoy on their own, or to make a savory Keto Bagel Breakfast Sandwich! This easy keto bagel recipe will be one of your new favorite keto breakfast recipes!
Easy Keto Bagels
Bagels are basically giant carb bombs, so usually they are off limits because they are definitely not keto friendly!
However, if you’re missing them and have been wondering “Can you eat a bagel on keto?” …the answer is YES!! That is, with a few tweaks to make your bagel keto!
The good news is this keto bagel recipe is actually pretty easy! It’s also enough to make 4 full-size bagels in a batch, so you can meal prep for the week or feed a whole family at once!
The best part about this recipe is that it is EASY because we made it using fathead dough, which only requires a few simple ingredients and is very versatile!
What is Fathead Dough?
The name “Fathead” comes from the documentary of the same name starring Tom Naughton. Tom and his family set out to prove wrong the long-held notion that a low fat diet is healthiest, and created the first “Fathead” pizza.
Classic fathead dough consists of four main ingredients:
- mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- almond flour
From that basic recipe, you can customize your fathead dough with different types of low carb flours and/or seasonings. For our keto bagel recipe, we added baking powder for a little extra fluffiness and Everything Bagel seasoning.
More of Our Favorite Keto Bread Recipes
For your convenience in re-creating our keto everything bagels at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Perfect chewy bagel texture!
- Easy to make and freeze the dough for later.
- Only 4g net carbs each!
What You Need:
- Almond flour
- Mozzarella cheese — We recommend grating your own mozzarella, as some pre-shredded store-bought cheeses contain additives and starches.
- Cream cheese
- Olive oil — This is for spreading on top of the bagels before baking, so you can also use butter!
- Baking powder
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
Kitchen Tools Used:
How to Make Keto Bagels
Prepare the dough in a microwave-safe bowl, as you’ll need to melt the cheese. Combine dry ingredients (save 1/2 the seasoning for topping) then add cheese and melt in 30 second increments.
As the cheese melts, a dough ball will form when you stir. It may take at least 2 cycles in the microwave to melt.
Incorporate the egg, either with a wooden spoon or by hand, then separate dough into 4 balls.
Arrange the dough balls on a prepared baking sheet and use your thumb to press a nickle-sized hole in the middle of each. Brush tops with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining seasoning.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
What if my keto bagel dough is sticky?
If you find the dough sticky, that’s ok and actually to be expected! However, sticky dough can be a little tricky to work with, so here are a couple tips for making it easier to handle and form into bagels:
- Coat your hands in oil so when you knead and form the dough, it is less likely to stick to your hands. This is also one of my tricks for making slime with my kids!
- Make sure your dough is thoroughly mixed. If the ingredients are not well combined, the dough might be stickier than normal.
- If you have time, you can also chill the dough after mixing, but before forming into bagels. Placing the dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes should do the trick!
- Be sure that your baking pan is prepped with parchment paper or a non-stick silicone baking mat. I actually find the baking mats best to work with because they are heavier and stay in place better.
My bagels are still raw in the middle – what did I do wrong?
If your bagels (or any type of fathead dough) cook unevenly, it could be that your oven temperature is high. This can cause the outside to brown before the inside is fully cooked. You may need to adjust your temperature accordingly and cook longer at a lower temperature.
How to make a Keto Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy bagels! This recipe makes a simple and savory low carb bagel breakfast sandwich!
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bagel(s) on baking sheet and into the oven to warm for 5-10 minutes while you cook your bacon and egg.
- Cook bacon to your desired crispiness.
- Fry egg(s) in a pat of butter until desired cook through. I did not flip the egg, but I made sure to cook it longer for a hard fry on the bottom, soft yolk on top.
- Pull warm bagel out of oven, place on a plate, and layer with a slice of cheese, bacon, and egg.
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- What is Keto?
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- What are the Best Keto Sweeteners?
Keto Bagel Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/5 cups mozzarella cheese freshly grated or bag is fine
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon "Everything but the Bagel" Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, and half tablespoon of seasoning to a microwave-safe mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to the bowl and microwave in 30-45 second intervals until the cheese is completely melted. Stir in between heatings - stop when cheese is melted and a dough ball forms.
- Add the egg to the bowl and vigorously mix or knead by hand until the egg is fully incorporated into dough.
- Separate into four balls of dough. Roll them each into a ball and gently push a finger through the center to make a nickel-sized hole. Place on prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Brush olive oil on top of the bagels and sprinkle with remaining seasoning.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top starts to turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
Pin our Keto Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches on Pinterest:
You might also like: