This Low Carb Tomato Sauce is super flavorful, restaurant-quality marinara-style sauce. It’s easy to make keto marinara sauce at home with only a few simple, real-food ingredients!
Keto Marinara Sauce
Pasta may be out on the keto diet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy delicious, hearty Italian food!
This low carb marinara sauce brings all the rich flavor of your favorite restaurant dishes, but without any of the added sugar that is often found in store-bought sauces.
We add a touch of our “secret ingredient” – balsamic vinegar – to really amp up the flavor and sweetness. You don’t want to use too much vinegar, as tomatoes are naturally acidic, but a touch can really help make your pasta sauces taste amazing!
Is tomato sauce keto?
When starting keto, you’ll likely run across lists of “foods to avoid.” Most fruits, including tomatoes, are often included on these no-no lists because they naturally contain sugar.
Here’s the thing, one serving of our low carb tomato sauce only contains about 2-3 grams of total carbs (depending on the amount of sauce you actually consume). That’s not much at all!
The way I look at it is that tomatoes pack so much nutrition, they are worth the carbs. If you’re doing a moderate keto diet of 30-50 grams of carbs per day, it should be no problem to accommodate 2-3 grams of carbs from this sauce.
Use our keto friendly tomato sauce to make:
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Fresh and flavorful
- Makes a big batch that can be used for multiple meals
- Restaurant quality sauce without any added sugar
For your convenience in re-creating our low carb marinara sauce at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
The above is a quick glance at the ingredients and tools needed to make keto friendly marinara. Full ingredient amounts are available in the printable recipe at the bottom of the post.
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- If you’d like an extra kick of spice, add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to your sauce while it’s cooking.
- You can also use canned tomatoes to make our low carb marinara – use about 20-30 ounces of canned tomatoes in place of fresh.
- You can cook this sauce up to 45 minutes, but the sauce can be served after just 25 minutes.
- Keep your homemade low carb tomato sauce in the fridge for up to a week.
Related: Click here to see all of our favorite keto condiments and sauces!
Free Printable Copy of Our Low Carb Tomato Sauce Recipe
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Marinara - Low Carb Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 pounds tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper optional, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and water, as needed.
- Let the tomatoes simmer and release their juices for up to 20 minutes, crushing them occasionally with the back of a spoon.
- Add the basil and balsamic vinegar and cook at least 5-10 more minutes. Finish with salt and pepper, to taste.
Net Carbs: about 3 grams per serving
Pin our Creamy Keto Tomato Sauce recipe on Pinterest:
What is the serving size per person ? Quarter or half cup?
Hi Kim – We did 24 servings for the full recipe, which for us made about 1 quart or 1 liter of sauce. Since you’re using fresh ingredients, the exact amount made each time might vary, which is why we did servings as a part of the whole instead of a specific amount. Hope this helps!