Who says you can’t enjoy bread on keto? This delicious keto garlic bread is full of flavor and low in carbs! It’s our favorite fathead bread recipe because it goes with just about anything!
Keto Garlic Breadsticks (with Fathead Dough)
Bread is not usually my number one carb craving…that is, unless it is GARLIC bread. Oh man…I could eat a plateful of rich, buttery garlic bread…and I used to do just that when I was a kid and we went to my Great Uncle’s Italian restaurant!
This keto garlic bread recipe is not only easy to make, but it honestly tastes as good or better than the real thing!
The texture is spot-on, with that crave-able chewiness that you’d get from real pizza dough or breadsticks. That’s because we started with a fathead dough recipe (known for its awesome texture) and customized it with Italian seasonings, lots of garlic, and butter!
Ok, my mouth is watering just describing it for you!
Whole 30 compliant, gluten free, and low carb, it’s easy to see why fathead dough is a staple in so many low carb kitchens!
What is Fathead Bread?
The name “Fathead” comes from the documentary of the same name starring Tom Naughton. Tom and his family set out to prove wrong the long-held notion that a low fat diet is healthiest, and created the first “Fathead” pizza.
At its core, fathead dough consists of four main ingredients:
- mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- almond flour
From that basic recipe, you can customize your fathead dough with different types of low carb flours and/or seasonings, like our keto garlic breadsticks.
Related: Check out our Keto Bagel Recipe made with fathead dough too!
- Keto Meatballs Marinara
- Keto Zucchini Boats
- Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
- Copycat Olive Garden Tuscan Chicken (Keto-Friendly)
- Keto Greek Eggplant Dip
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Delicious texture just like real breadsticks!
- Easy to make and freeze the dough for later.
- Only 4g net carbs per serving!
For your convenience in re-creating our keto garlic cheese bread recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
Kitchen Tools Used:
Fathead Dough Ingredients:
- Mozzarella Cheese — Shredded
- Almond Flour — You can also use almond meal, which is essentially the same thing.
- Cream Cheese
- Baking Powder
Garlic Butter Topping:
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Butter — We used salted butter; if you use unsalted butter, you may want to compensate with a little additional salt.
- Garlic — We started with whole cloves and minced them ourselves, or you can buy minced garlic.
- Parmesan Cheese
The above is a quick glance at the ingredients and tools needed to make fathead garlic bread. Full ingredient amounts are available in the printable recipe at the bottom of the post.
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- What is Keto?
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- What are the Best Keto Sweeteners?
How to Make Keto Garlic Bread
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Set aside.
The first step is to melt your mozzarella and cream cheeses together. Do this in 45-second increments, stirring in-between (it will be sticky!)
Safety Note: Be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl for this step and handle carefully, as the bowl may become hot.
Whisk together your dry bread ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the melted cheese and stir. Add beaten egg and continue stirring until you have a dough-like consistency.
Now it’s time to roll the dough!
We placed the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and rolled. This way it doesn’t stick to the rolling pin. You want to make your dough into a circle or oblong shape and about the same thickness as pizza crust.
Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and poke holes in the dough with a fork. This aerates the dough and helps prevent bubbling.
Transfer the dough to a baking sheet (still on the parchment paper) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven when the dough just starts to turn golden brown.
While the bread bakes, make your garlic butter topping by combining softened butter, garlic powder, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese.
Use a brush or the back of a spoon to apply the garlic topping mix to the top of the baked bread.
Finally, return to oven and broil for a couple minutes to brown the topping. Allow the bread to cool enough to handle, then slice and enjoy!
Tips for Making Perfect Fathead Dough
- Keep some extra almond flour available in a separate bowl for kneading later on if needed.
- Use a nonstick spatula to mix things together, as the cheese is quite sticky before you bake it.
- If the dough becomes too hard when you’re mixing it, simply place it back into the microwave for a few seconds until it softens up.
- A pizza cutter makes it a breeze to slice the bread into perfect breadsticks!
Can You Freeze Fathead Dough?
Yes! You can make the dough ahead and store in a freezer bag. When you’re ready to bake, simply let the dough thaw out fully and then proceed with the recipe as normal.
You can also store fathead dough in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Is Keto Bread Gluten Free?
This recipe for keto garlic bread is indeed gluten free. However, we do recommend that you check labels on the ingredients you purchase to ensure that they were processed separately from any products containing gluten.
Related: Try our dipping our keto garlic breadsticks in our low carb marinara sauce!
More of our favorite Keto bread recipes:
Free Printable Copy of Our Keto Garlic Bread Recipe:
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Garlic Bread
- 1 ¾ cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- ¾ cups Almond Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Pinch Salt
Garlic Butter Topping
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Soften ½ cup of salted butter in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Place bowl in the microwave and cook for 45 seconds on high heat.
- Remove the cheese blend from the microwave and stir the cheese to mix. It will be very sticky at this point.
- Return bowl to microwave and cook for an additional 45 seconds, until cheese starts to bubble. Be sure to keep an eye on it to ensure there is no burning.
- Remove the cheese from the microwave and add dry ingredients. Stir.
- Add the beaten egg to the mixture and stir again until it starts to form a dough-like consistency.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, sprinkle your cooking surface with almond flour and knead it until the dough forms.
- If dough still seems too sticky, work in more almond flour.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and place another piece of parchment paper on top. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough out into a round or oval shape and flatten to the thickness of a pizza crust.
- Using a fork, poke holes throughout the surface of the dough. This will help prevent it from forming bubbles while baking.
- Transfer the dough and parchment paper to your baking sheet and place the baking sheet on the center rack of your oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the dough start to turn golden brown.
While the bread bakes, make your garlic butter topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine softened butter, garlic powder, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and mix together.
- Use a brush or the back of a spoon to apply the garlic topping mix to the top of the cooked bread.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven, this time on the top rack. Set the oven to broil and bake for about 2 minutes, or until the top of the bread starts to brown.
- Remove the garlic bread from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Cut the dough with a pizza cutter and enjoy!
Pin our Keto Garlic Bread on Pinterest: