This frothy keto hot chocolate is the ultimate indulgence! A touch of sea salt brings out the chocolate flavor for an extra rich treat! Only 2g net carbs per serving!
Keto Hot Cocoa
Hot chocolates is one of my favorite cold weather treats! I’ve loved it since I was a kid — we used to go outside and play in the snow, then we’d warm up afterwards by the fireplace with a mug of cocoa.
This low carb hot cocoa is every bit as fabulous as the “real” thing! I promise!
We used two types of chocolate to make it incredibly rich and decadent. We also added a pinch of sea salt to really kick up the flavor.
And did you notice that foam? All that rich, fluffy foam is like a cappuccino — it makes this drink taste like you bought it at a fancy coffee shop!
If you’re like me and spending more time at home lately, treat yourself to a steaming mug of our sea salt hot chocolate! You might not even want to leave the house at all!
Related: Try this delicious Whipped Keto Hot Cocoa on our other website!
What You Need to Make Low Carb Hot Chocolate
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- Almond milk — You can use vanilla flavored, chocolate flavored, or plain, as long as it is unsweetened.
- Heavy cream — Or coconut milk
- Granulated Erythritol Sweetener — We love Lakanto brand monk fruit sweeteners for their clean taste — if you shop through my link and use code “SOCCERMOM” you can save 15% every time you purchase! Swerve is another good option when it comes to baking friendly keto sweeteners.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder — Not to be confused with hot cocoa powder (that usually contains sugar)
- Sugar free chocolate chips — We love Lily’s sugar free chocolate chips!
- Sea Salt
Kitchen Tools Used
- Milk frother — This handy little tool whips up amazingly fluffy foam in seconds, like a latte or cappuccino!
Why do people put salt on chocolate?
Unsweetened cocoa powder is tastes bitter on its own, which is why we add a keto-friendly sweetener to this recipe. Salt works to balance out the bitter chocolate and added sweeteners (in any chocolate recipe, not just this one).
Salt is essentially the middleman — mellowing out bitter and sweet tones and amping up the chocolate flavors. It makes any chocolate recipe taste more complex and decadent!
How to Make Keto Friendly Hot Chocolate
Add milk and heavy cream to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Once the milk is hot, add chocolate chips and stir to melt.
Add cocoa powder, sweetener, and sea salt and whisk to dissolve. You can also use an immersion blender or milk frother to create rich, thick foam like a latte or cappuccino.
Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Can You Make This Recipe Dairy Free?
The recipe as prepared in our video uses heavy cream and sugar free chocolate chips. The good news is that this can easily be adapted to be lactose and dairy free!
First, swap out the heavy cream with full fat coconut milk. Remember, fat is our friend on the keto diet!
Next, make sure to use chocolate chips that are labeled as dairy free. Lily’s sugar free chocolate chips (55% dark chocolate variety) do not contain dairy ingredients, which is why they are a favorite of ours.
You can also omit the chocolate chips altogether.
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- What is Keto?
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight on Keto
Make it a Cold Treat!
If you’re looking for a rich chocolate drink to cool off with on a hot summer day, try our Keto Nutella Milkshake recipe too!
If you’ve tried this recipe and loved it, please rate it!
Sea Salt Keto Hot Chocolate
- Sauce pan
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar free chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons keto sweetener we used Lakanto monk fruit sweetener
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Add liquid ingredients to saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Whisk in cocoa powder, sweetener, and sea salt - until dissolved and drink is foamy.
- Pour into mug and enjoy.
Pin our keto hot cocoa recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: