Sizzling sirloin strips and perfectly charred Southwestern style veggies combine to make these Keto Steak Fajitas as good (or better) than anything you’d find in a restaurant!
Keto Steak Fajitas
Here in Texas, fajitas are a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine. Steak fajitas, sizzling in a cast iron skillet, with the perfect char and juicy pink center — now that is a treat!
The steak itself is totally keto-friendly! Traditional fajita fixin’s…not so much!
We created this low carb steak fajita dish that is full of fresh veggies, even better than you’d get in a restaurant! It’s hearty and satisfying — you won’t feel deprived at all — even though there are less than 10g net carbs per serving.
If 10g of net carbs sounds like a lot, I want to point out that this is a FULL meal. No one is going to go home hungry with this one! As written, this recipe is enough to feed two people, without anything else needed. However, I do offer pairings (low carb tortillas, for example) later in the post.
Let’s get sizzlin’!!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Ready in 20-30 minutes
- Lots of vegetables
- Hearty and satisfying
- Only 9g net carbs per serving…for a full meal!
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe at home, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
- Sirloin Steak — We used two small 4oz steaks for quicker cooking
- Cooking oil
- Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Bell Pepper — seeded and diced
- Medium Zucchini — halved and sliced
- Half of a Red Onion — diced
- Minced Garlic — Can use fresh or packaged garlic paste
- Limes — We’ll use the juice and lime wedges for garnish
- Fresh Cilantro — for garnish
Kitchen Tools Used
- Use a paper towel to pat dry the steaks, then season meat with 3/4 teaspoons cumin, 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place a teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, place the steaks into the pan and sear well on one side (this should take about 4-5 minutes). Flip the steaks and cook for a couple minutes to sear the other side, or until they are done to your liking. Remove steaks from pan and set aside, covering to keep them warm.
- Add another teaspoon of oil to the same skillet, then add the chopped vegetables, another 3/4 teaspoon cumin, another 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to char on the outside.
- Slice the steaks and place on top of the veggies in the pan. Remove pan from heat and top everything with a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro.
What Can You Serve with Low Carb Fajitas?
These steak fajitas are filling enough to stand on their own, however, who doesn’t love a good tortilla?! (I sure do!!)
Here are a few of my favorite fajita accompaniments that can fit into a keto lifestyle:
- Low Carb Tortillas — I love the Siete almond flour tortillas because they taste like a flour tortilla and hold together like a real tortilla too! You can find them on Amazon, though they might be slightly lower in price if you can find them in a physical store.
- Cheese Taco Shells — These are super easy to make at home and have only 2g carbs each! Check out our easy recipe for keto taco shells here!
- Cauliflower Rice — Make a “burrito bowl” like they do at Chipotle! Get our cauliflower rice recipe here!
Again, I want to point out that this recipe was designed to be a full meal on its own, so you don’t have to add anything at all!
Is Sour Cream Keto?
Sour cream is a popular fajita topping, but is it keto compliant?
Full fat sour cream can be incorporated into most ketogenic diets, in moderation. A 2 Tablespoon serving of regular sour cream contains less than 2g of carbs.
Stay away from low fat sour cream, which may contain additives and sometimes is higher in carbs. Fat is our friend on the keto diet anyway!
The same goes for cheese: stick to full-fat varieties. I also recommend shredding your own, as packaged shredded cheese sometimes contains starch and additives to keep it from sticking together.
Free Printable Copy of Our Keto Steak Fajita Recipe
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Steak Fajitas
- Large Skillet
- 2 teaspoons Oil as needed
- 8 oz Sirloin Steak We used 2 small steaks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Bell Pepper seeded and diced
- 1 Zucchini halved and sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons Lime Juice
- Small Handful Cilantro garnish
- Lime Slices optional garnish
- Pat dry steaks and season with 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Add a teaspoon cooking oil to a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. When pan is hot, add steak and sear on one side for about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and sear on the other side, until steaks are cooked to your desired doneness. Remove steaks from the pan and set aside.
- Add another teaspoon of oil to the same pan and add all vegetables. Season with 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook veggies for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to char on the outside.
- Slice the steaks and place on top of the cooked vegetables. Add a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro, to taste.
Pin our Low Carb Steak Fajitas on Pinterest:
You might also like: