This rich and flavorful Keto Roasted Red Pepper Soup is a delicious blend of sweet red peppers, onions, garlic, and spices! It’s the perfect start to any low carb meal!
Keto Red Pepper Soup
My husband is the chef in the family, so before I met him my food options were limited to easy recipes that I could prepare or take-out.
One of my favorite dishes to make at home in college was roasted red pepper soup. It tasted amazing with a bit of cheese or crushed BBQ chips!
Ok, so maybe all my add-ins weren’t the healthiest, but at it’s core, red pepper soup is pretty darn good for ya. And it’s fairly low in carbs!
We’ve tweaked that original favorite of mine to make a low carb pepper soup that is just heavenly! Plus, it’s perfect to make ahead at the beginning of the week for easy meal prepping.
Related: For another one of our other favorite soup recipes, try our Keto Instant Pot Asparagus Soup!
Are Red Peppers Low Carb?
At first glance, 8 grams of net carbs might seem high, but if you’re doing a keto diet of 30-50 grams of carbs for the day that’s a good amount for a meal.
It’s not realistic to think that every meal is going to be like 2 grams of carbs AND have nutrients to nourish your body. Plus, the health benefits of red peppers are so wonderful that I think it balances out the carbs, in my humble opinion.
I’m always in the camp that feeding our bodies the vitamins and minerals they need is just as important (if not more so) than any weight goal.
Here’s just a few of the health benefits of red peppers:
- They contain a TON of vitamin C (more than 200% of your daily value)
- Red peppers are a good source of some B vitamins
- They provide antioxidants that fight free radicals
- Red bell peppers support healthy eyesight
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Lots of veggies and nutrients!
- Only 8g net carbs for a big hearty bowl of soup
- Perfect to make in a big batch to meal prep
What You Need to Make Keto Bell Pepper Soup
- 5-7 sweet bell peppers (enough to cover a sheet pan as shown)
- 1 head garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon paprika, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sumac, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth (can use water)
Note: do not be afraid of spice in this recipe! Bell peppers don’t always have a lot of flavor on their own, so the combination of roasting and spice helps bump up the flavor of this recipe.
Kitchen Supplies Used:
KETO FAQ – Learn More
- What is Keto?
- How many carbs can you eat on keto?
- Keto-friendly Food List
- What is the Keto flu and how to avoid it?
- What is a Targeted Keto Diet?
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight on Keto
How to Make Keto Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Preheat oven to 425°F and prepare a large baking sheet with non-stick spray, parchment paper, or a non-stick silicone baking mat.
Clean bell peppers and cut each in half. Remove seeds, stem and membranes, then place cut side down on your baking sheet along with garlic.
Roast for 25 minutes until browned or blackened to your liking.
Peel the peppers one of two ways:
- Allow peppers to cool completely and the skins will slide off easily
- Place peppers in a bowl while stil lhot and cover with plastic wrap for 3 minutes, then peel. Set peppers aside and discard skins.
Remove and discard any remaining skin from the garlic.
Place the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add chopped onions and sauté for about 2 minutes until they’re translucent.
Add the softened garlic and spices and stir until they start to give off a nice fragrance. Add the roasted peppers and broth, increase heat to high so that everything starts to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering for 20 minutes.
Once soup has cooked, it’s time to puree in the blender or food processor. You don’t want to fill your blender higher than halfway, so you may need to do so in batches.
Return the pureed soup to the pan and taste. Adjust the spices and rewarm if needed.
Keto Red Pepper Soup Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you love this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 7 Sweet Bell Peppers enough to cover a sheet pan
- 1 head Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions chopped
- 5 Cups Vegetable Broth or water
- 1 Tbsp Paprika to taste
- 1 tsp Tumeric to taste
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and prepare a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Clean bell peppers and cut each in half. Remove seeds, stem and membranes, then place cut side down on prepared baking sheet, along with the garlic.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes until browned or blackened to your liking.
- Peel peppers and garlic and discard the skins. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes until translucent. Add the softened garlic and spices.
- Heat until fragrant, then add the peppers and broth.
- Increase heat so that everything starts to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Continue simmering for 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender. You may need to do this in batches, as you don't want the blender to be more than halfway full.
- Return the pureed soup to the pan and taste. Adjust the spices and rewarm as needed.
- Do not be afraid of spice in this recipe! Peppers are quite watery/flavorless on their own, so the combination of roasting and adding a healthy dose of spice helps bump up the flavor of this recipe.
- Serving size depends on your bowls. Nutrition info is calculated using the whole pot.
Pin our Low Carb Pepper Soup Recipe on Pinterest:
More of our favorite Keto soup recipes: