Hearty and flavorful, this Keto Chicken Enchilada soup is a low carb version of a classic Tex-Mex dish! It’s easier than ever to make in the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken enchiladas are a Tex-Mex classic! Of course, on a ketogenic diet, the rice and tortillas that are a part of this dish are a no-no.
Instead of cutting out our favorite foods, we mixed it up a bit and created this delicious low carb chicken enchilada soup. It’s got all the flavor of the real thing, but only a fraction of the carbs!
This recipe has just the right amount of kick, and is perfect for the whole family. You can make a pot of Spanish rice for the kids or anyone else who isn’t worried about carbs.
That’s one of my favorite things about this recipe — it’s perfect for everyone so you don’t have to cook special keto food and something else for the rest of the family!
Everyone will love it!
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe, we’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products and supplies used. Read our disclosure policy here.
Low Carb Enchilada Soup Ingredients
- Chicken (you can use a whole chicken or chicken breasts)
- Cooking oil
- Half an onion
- Minced garlic
- Shredded cabbage
- Red enchilada sauce
- Adobo seasoning
Full ingredient amounts are available in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Kitchen Tools Used
How to Make Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup in an Instant Pot
There are a few ways you can do this, depending on your preference and the amount of time you have:
- Cook your own whole chicken in the Instant Pot first and then make the soup with the chicken you just cooked (directions below) — this is the thrifty way because buying whole uncooked chicken is usually less expensive than chicken breasts or pre-cooked chicken.
- Use 4-5 chicken breasts that you cook in the Instant Pot (click here to see how to cook chicken breast in the Instant Pot)
- Start with a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken — this cuts cook time in half and is perfect for busy days!
To Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
Rub the entire chicken down with olive oil and generously sprinkle with adobo seasoning.
Pour a cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot and then insert the trivet. Place the chicken on the trivet.
Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and cook on manual for 30-35 minutes. Natural release.
Remove chicken from Instant Pot and allow to cool enough to debone.
To Make the Soup
Add a Tablespoon of cooking oil to the IP on sauté setting.
When the oil is hot, add diced onions and cook 2 minutes. Then add the garlic.
Give everything a good stir and then add the shredded cabbage.
Add in the shredded chicken (either the chicken you just made or a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken), enchilada sauce, adobo seasoning, and water. Stir well, then secure the lid.
Cook for 25 minutes on soup/stew setting. Natural release.
Is Enchilada Sauce Keto?
The most carb-y part of regular enchiladas are the tortillas and accompanying rice, which we nixed to make a hearty soup instead. This drastically cuts down the carb count!
Regular store-bought enchilada sauce is not particularly high in carbs, and spread out in this recipe only adds a few carbs per serving. You may be able to find specially made low carb enchilada sauce to lower the carbs even further. However, we calculated our nutrition data using Old El Paso brand — which is an easy to find brand in most stores.
The net carb count per serving is about 7 grams, which is pretty low for an entire meal!
What Can You Serve with Chicken Enchilada Soup That’s Keto Friendly?
This soup is amazing as-is, or you can pair with cauliflower rice for an even heartier dish! This does add a few carbs per serving, but is still a low carb meal.
Another option that’s lower in carbs is topping with shredded cheese like shown in our photos. I recommend buying your own cheese blocks and shredding it yourself because some store-bought shredded cheese contains additives and starches.
More of our favorite Keto Soup Recipes
Keto Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup - Easy Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot
For the Chicken:
- 1 whole Chicken (about 5 cups shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Adobo seasoning
- 1 cup Water
For the Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 teaspoons Garlic minced
- 2 cups Cabbage shredded
- 1 can Red enchilada sauce 10oz can
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo seasoning
- 3 cups Water
To Make Your Own Chicken
- Rub the chicken with oil and then sprinkle with adobo seasoning.
- Add water to the bottom of the Instant Pot and insert the trivet. Place chicken on trivet.
- Secure the lid and cook on manual for 30-35 minutes. Natural release.
- Carefully remove chicken and trivet from Instant Pot. Allow chicken to cool enough to handle and then remove the meat from the bones.
To Make the Soup
- Add a Tablespoon of oil to IP on sauté setting.
- When oil is hot, add diced onions and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic. Cook for another minute, then add the shredded cabbage and stir to combine. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, seasoning, and water to Instant Pit and stir. Secure lid and cook for 25 minutes on the soup/stew setting.
- Natural release.
Pin our Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: